The 'now' photos are very dark because we don't have any electricity outside of the Kitchen, and no lights except for torches.
We've removed the rotten porch, rebuild the chimneys and chopped down all the trees and bushes which were compromising the light and sending roots under the house. We've also removed tonnes of concrete which surrounded the house, and dropped the outside ground level a few inches.
We've removed the redundant and structurally-questionable chimney stack and had an internal flue put in for the new range. We've stripped off the concrete render to allow the underlying bricks to breathe. And we've replaced a broken drain which was saturating the back wall.
We've removed the old range, which was badly flued and crossed the window. We've also removed the false-ceiling to reveal some dangerous electrics (removed) and a structural problem with the hearth in the bedroom above.
We've blocked up the doorway to the annex, stripped the walls of various impermeable coverings and re-plastered in lime the wall behind the new range. We have recycled the kitchen units but added new worktops.
We removed all of the gypsum and concrete renders, and re-plastered in lime throughout. We also revealed a Victorian Bread Oven and fireplace, and are using it as a place for a woodburner. The new central heating no longer runs pipes across the doorway floor! And we've replaced the concrete floor with a breathable limecrete and flagstone floor.
The extremely wet wall between Lounge and Hallway has been stripped of gypsum and bitumen, and a coating of lime-plaster is allowing it to breathe. It is acting as a wick, so putting furniture against it will be a no-no.
The Sitting Room
We've stripped off all the impermeable gypsum plaster and some concrete render to allow the walls to breathe. They've been re-plastered in lime. We've stripped the brick fire surround to let the damp and salts out of the bricks. We've also pulled up the concrete floor in preparation for a breathable limecrete and flagstone floor.
New central heating is drying out the walls slowly. A new windowsill and part of the wall around the window was replaced because it had been bodged with an old wooden beam in place of bricks.
We stripped the false walls to reveal some dangerous electrics (removed) and water pipes buried in walls. The radiator wall needed replastering in lime, and we've removed the concrete floor to allow the area to breathe. We discovered the original staircase (under the current one).
We had to remove a large section of lime plaster from above the fireplace, which had been saturated by creosote from years of open-fires in the room below. We had the chimneys reinstated and this fireplace now breathes. The room is otherwise functional and is where we've been living for the last couple of months. Before that we were in a caravan.
Almost impossible to photograph because it's full of junk, but Bedroom 2's alcove (see above) has been sectioned off and is part-way through being made in to a shower-room so we can rip out the downstairs WC and crack on with the destruction of the Sun Room.
We un-decorated this room and removed loads of wood-chip wallpaper and some gyspum plaster.
The chimney breast and bricked-up fireplace (behind the cupboard above) were removed after we discovered they had been used for an unvented Rayburn flue - they were saturated with creosote. The new central heating system has been installed in this room and will be boxed in as part of a full wall of cupboards. This room, despite having 2 windows, is very dark.