The lime-plastered wall in the kitchen is no longer cold to the touch, so I decided that it was time to re-install some of the kitchen cupboards in their new configuration.
I hung the wall cupboards first, which was quick and easy since they were already assembled. I just took the opportunity to clean them up and tighten all screws whilst they were accessible.
We had planned to dig a trough around the perimeter of the kitchen, in order that some of the damp which is trapped under the floor could escape before it hit the walls. I've spent many days pondering this, and decided to not do it in the end. The main reason being that the kitchen floor is considerably higher than the outside ground level, and since we've exposed the external brickwok, and much of the internal brickwork has been stripped and recoated in breathable lime, it is worth maintaining the floor as it is.
One concession I did make was to put the cupboards on high (15cm) legs, and install them with a big air-gap behind them. There'll be plenty of air-flow to take away any moisture coming out from that wall.
I wanted to emphasise the juxtaposition between the smooth, rendered wall and the stone wall, so spent some time cutting the worktop (new) to fit the profile of the stones.
And since the doorway to the Lounge comes wider than the worktop, I spent some time putting a curve in to the end - part for safety and part for aesthetics.
Unfortunately (schoolboy error) I bought laminate worktops (3mm of walnut on top of particle-board, so had to carefully apply a curved edging (supplied by IKEA) and match up the edges so it wouldn't catch or let in water.
I need to make a door for the built-in fridge at some point, but that will wait.
And we have a camp-stove in place where the ESSE 990CH range that we're having installed in October will go. The range will run the central heating and hot water, as well as be a stove.