It didn't really need doing today, but I woke up in a mood which was annoyed by the enormous oil-fired boiler that sat in the corner of the porch and had loads of pipes going to it.
So, I decided that today was the day to decommission it and get rid.
I started by isolating the fuel at the oil tank in the garden. I'd watched and learnt about that when we had it serviced last winter, so knew how to stop the flow of fuel. It helped that the tank is slightly downhill from the boiler so there was no inherent flow.
Then, turning off the electricity, I removed all of its wiring and isolated it.
Once the fuel and spark had been eliminated, it was simply a matter of carefully undoing and unscrewing all of the pipes which fed in to it, draining each in to a bucket, and releasing the flue from the external wall.
Shifting it was immensely difficult. It weighed far, far more than I'd anticipated and it was a real backache... but perseverance won out in the end.
Not sure what to do with it, I've popped it in the garden next to its tank. The tank has a little (guesstimate 100L) of kerosene still in it, so I might see if there's some way to fit it with a tap and we can fuel some kerosene lanterns to save on electricity costs through winter. Once it's empty we can get rid of the tank.
And I was able to remove all of the redundant pipework which fed the boiler quite easily, using a reciprocating saw and spanner.